Friday, November 12, 2010

Hell Week

The first week back training is always the worst for me. Finding the motivation to get out the door is especially difficult when you know what kind of pain your in for because of how unfit you are. This week went as well as any first week could have gone. This week I also managed to set up a full training schedule for the next four months. I've decided to slowly build up my mileage do some workouts and race three times during the indoor season. Then I'll take a brief down period before going full bore into training for some outdoor races.
This week was hell week for a number of reasons. Mainly because of how unfit I felt, but also because of the torture I put myself through by getting barely any sleep because I had so many papers due. Sunday night I got zero hours of sleep, Monday was a whopping two hours, Tuesday I recovered a little before getting zero again Wednesday night. College classes plus work plus getting back into training left my body pretty dead but the semesters almost over and I'm sure my body will adjust to everything fine.
Saturday is also the NCAA regional championships, and while I'm no longer on the Iona team I still have great support for everyone racing in Connecticut today. They put in the work and "transcended the bullshit" and are just one stepping stone away from the national championship where I'm sure they are podium material. On a smaller scale it is also the New York State championships where my high school is going to be competing for a state title, the first one since my freshman year. Good luck to everyone. Here's how my week of running went:

Saturday
4miles
27min
Ran from my house to the PR middle school trail did some loops then back home

Sunday
7miles
48min
Ran with Tommy Lappas, did a PR-TZ loop. felt alright but prbly shouldn't have gone this far on the 2nd day

Monday
4miles
26min
Ran between classes on nature study in New Ro. felt fine, hammered because I was by myself and I tend to do that

Tuesday
4miles
25:50
Ran between classes again on nature study

Wednesday
4miles
25:12
Ran between classes again on nature study, legs have been feeling fine but I can't be hammering everyday

Thursday
5miles
35:50
Ran with the high school team easy on highview loop. felt good to run easy, those guys look ready to do work at states

Friday
3miles
20min
Ran with cahill between classes. Felt fine

Week Total: 31miles


Overall it feels good to have this week behind me. Next week I'm going to go up a little but nothing major, but I'm also going to start a core/drills routine. Basically I'm going to be doing most of the same stuff I did at Iona plus some other stuff.
Making sure that I remember to keep doing the small things from the start is very important as well. I have to keep reminding myself that everything I do now will play a role in how I perform in the future. So eating/drinking right, getting sleep, stretching, and doing core/drills/strides/stretching, all will benefit me in the future and help me reach my maximum potential.
Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone in their upcoming week of training

No comments:

Post a Comment